From the Archives
In this opinion piece from The Record archives dated Jan. 23, 1975, Alice Walsh, a member of St. Martin of Tours Church, offers an early take on what’s now known as the “slow food movement.” Advertisements
The Archdiocese of Louisville’s annual Corpus Christi procession held at Churchill Downs is pictured on June 18, 1968, in this Record file photo.
The caption for this Record file photo dated Oct. 17, 1976, read: The sun shining through the fall foliage and the patterns of light on the sidewalk create a serene atmosphere for Sister of Loretto Estelle Marie to sweep a walkway recently at the Sisters of Loretto Motherhouse in Nerinx, Ky.
A boy gently reached for a balloon filled with water during a balloon toss, one of the games for children at St. Martin of Tours’ parish anniversary celebration Aug. 20, 1994. (Record File Photo by Joseph Duerr)
This geodesic dome was erected inside the former St. Charles Borromeo Church at 2704 W. Chestnut St. in 1971. Parishioners created the dome as a worship space, leaving room in the remainder of the now-closed church for other parish and community events, according to Father Patrick Delahanty, who served at the parish. The caption from […]
The photo above originally appeared in The Record March 30, 1972. It accompanied a story highlighting the fact that for the first time St. Brigid School in Louisville had a lay principal and an all lay staff. The original caption of the photo read “Second grade students at St. Brigid School and their teacher, Miss […]
Sister of Mercy Mary Kathleen took part in a potato sack race at the Our Lady Church, 3511 Rudd Avenue, Fun Day May 30, 1969. The Portland parish was established in 1839. In 2009 Good Shepherd Church was formed from the merger of Our Lady, St. Cecilia and St. Anthony churches.