The 46 Catholic elementary and high schools in the Archdiocese of Louisville celebrated Catholic Schools Week (CSW) this week Jan. 25 to 31. Schools hosted a variety of activities throughout the week to mark the occasion.
Following is a sampling of Catholic Schools Week activities submitted to The Record.
- St. Stephen Martyr School, 2931 Pindell Avenue, is centering activities on service, part of this year’s CSW theme “Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service.”Students in each classroom researched one of the charitable service organizations in the Louisville area and decorated their classroom door to promote the organization. Students also gave a presentation on the school’s morning newscast describing the work of each organization.
In addition, kindergarten and first-grade students collected items to put in care packages for men and women in the military. All other grades collected paper towels and toilet paper for Hand in Hand Ministries.
- St. Patrick School, 1000 N. Beckley Station Road, planned a number of activities this week, including decorating classroom doors to showcase CSW.All week long, students have waged a “penny war” campaign to benefit Nativity Academy at St. Boniface. The students also collected food to stock the new food pantry at Nativity Academy.
St. Patrick also provided daily treats for teachers and hosted an appreciation breakfast for the pastoral staff at St. Patrick.
- St. Nicholas Academy, 5501 New Cut Road, had a variety of “in-school arts experiences” throughout the week.Representatives of the Louisville Orchestra String Quartet, Bluegrass Music Society and Cloggers, Louisville Shakespeare, the Frazier History Museum and others gave demonstrations at the school during CSW.
- St. Raphael School, 2131 Lancashire Avenue, plans to hold its first geography bee Jan. 30. The school also presented “Kylie for President,” a play that “focuses on making positive choices in the face of peer pressure,” a news release from the archdiocese said.
- St. Xavier High School, 1609 Poplar Level Road, held a school-wide student “eXellence Rally” Jan. 28 to recognize student excellence in four areas: academics, artistic expression, athletics and service. The St. X MOMS Club provided breakfast for faculty and staff on Jan. 29. Also on Jan. 29, students were able to Facetime other students from Xaverian-sponsored schools during lunch.The school will host a blood drive Jan. 30 to benefit the American Red Cross.
- St. Athanasius School, 5915 Outer Loop, held appreciation days to recognize parents, students, staff, teachers and school administration throughout the week.Students created cards and wrote letters of appreciation to thank their families for the gift of Catholic education.
Students also created thank-you mementos for instruction aides and all support staff. The parent teacher organization sponsored a luncheon for teachers on Jan. 22.
On. Jan. 23, each grade presented hand-made cards to Father Gary Davis, their pastor; Margie Reece, school principal; and Deacon Jesse Schook. Also on Jan. 23, students and faculty competed in a volleyball game in the school gym.
- St. Margaret Mary School, 7813 Shelbyville Road, had an open house for parents today, Jan. 29. After the all-school Mass, each classroom planned special activities to highlight Catholic education.The school also plans to have a faculty-versus-student volleyball game Jan. 30.
- St. Leonard School, 440 Zorn Avenue, third-graders performed “Planet Parade” on Jan. 28 for parents and other classes in the school library.Students also created thank-you coloring pages to be placed in the bulletin to thank parishioners. Parents and grandparents were invited to an all-school Mass on Jan. 27. The school also held a spelling bee today, Jan. 29.
St. Leonard also collected personal hygiene items and food for United Crescent Hill Ministries.
- The student council at St. Gabriel School, 5503 Bardstown Road, will host the Luneaus Christian Basketball Family from Vermont on Jan. 30 as part of a student appreciation day. The family will entertain the student body with a show consisting of basketball tricks.